This month in La Scena
On the cover: Yuli Turovsky will celebrate 25 years in Canada this month.
Equally at ease as the maestro of I Musici, a famed cellist and a reputable
teacher, Yuli Turovsky has lots to say about life and music. La Scena Musicale
presents a one-on-one meeting with this intense and genuine artist. CD
Contest: Win one prize of 5 Turovsky Cds courtesy of Chandos and SRI Canada.
Ends: June 17, 2002.
• Charles Dutoit’s abrupt departure as maestro of the MSO has music lovers talking. Our editorial looks at the chain of events.
• Montreal will play host to an international music competition for the first time in years. To be launched later this month, the Concours International de Montréal des Jeunesses Musicales (CIMJM) will be devoted to young singers this year. We look behind the scenes to see how the competition came about.
• We publish the last of the winning papers of our 2nd Student Writing Contest. The article looks at different interpretations of Beethoven’s masterpiece, the Ninth Symphony. The deadline for this year's contest is May 15, 2002.
• The fame of the Studio de Musique Ancienne de Montréal has grown steadily in the last few years, thanks to its dynamic maestro Christopher Jackson. He talks about baroque voices.
• La Cena Musicale: The recipe of the month is the Opera Cake, a classic amongst classics.
•Don't miss our calendar, our jazz section (portraits of Rémi Bolduc and Yannick Rieu) and CD reviews! Have a great month!
Distribution: 40 000 copies
June 2002 - 6th Annual Guide to Summer Festivals
- On the cover: Montreal’s
new International Competition, the CIMJM
Copies: 54,000 across Canada
July-August 2002 - Summer Readings
- double issue on La Scena
Musicale (July-August 2002)
Copies: 40,000 across Canada
Become a Distribution Point of La Scena Musicale
Distribute La Scena Musicale at your summer festival, music event, music group or commercial establishment. Free for quantities of 25 or more.Download the agreement form at http://www.scena.org/pdf-files/LSMDistributionAgreement.pdfor call (514) 948-2520 or email email@example.com
The 3rd Annual La Scena Musicale Canadian Classical Music Student Writing ContestPrizes:Four prizes (two in English and two in French) will be awarded. The winning papers will be published in a future issue of La Scena Musicale. Furthermore, the best paper in each language will be awarded a cash prize of $250.00. The prize for the best English paper is courtesy of Sony Classical Canada. The prize for the best French paper is courtesy of Deutsche Grammophon, a Universal Music company.
Visit http://www.scena.org/lsmnews/2002StudentWritingcontest.html for more details.
Deadline: May 15, 2002
The Bring a Teen program
La Scena Musicale is pleased to introduce the “Bring a Teen” mentoring program to promote the live classical music experience. Any adult purchasing a ticket can receive a second ticket free for a teenager. The live concert experience is one of the best ways for young people to discover the wonders of classical music, and we feel that this kind of program will help build audiences in both the short and long term.
In our May 2002 issue, we
launched a new advertising campaign with the picture of a mother and daughter
who are participants in the program.See http://www.scena.org/pdf-files/sm7-8bringateen.pdf
Visit http://teen.scena.org for more info.
The Canadian Classical
Montreal Classical Music
- Project Coordinator: La Scena Musicale seeks a Special Project Coordinator. Bilingual, good communicator, initiative, fundraising. Must be eligible for a Bon d'emploi from Emploi-Québec. Position begins in May 2002. Fax: 514-274 9456 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calendar Data Entry Clerk: La Scena Musicale seeks a full-time data entry clerk. Bilingual and a good communicator. Must be eligible for a Bon d'emploi from Emploi-Québec. Minimum 30 weeks. Position begins in May or June 2002. Fax: 514-274-9456 or email@example.com
- La Scena Musicale is looking for advertising sales reps with experience. Commission. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeking Volunteers for fundraising
committee, translations, copy editing, distribution etc.
* La Scena Musicale Online
is looking for writers and contributors,
* La Scena Musicale seeks
good quality office furniture.
• La Scena Musicale is offering special web design services for musicians and non-musicians. We also specialize in design for print (brochures, flyers, posters, advertising, business cards)
Contact 514-274-2199 or email@example.com
A Classic Gift - Subscription
Offer a subscription to La
Scena Musicale (the print magazine)
(514) 948-2520 - Eric Ginestier or Email : firstname.lastname@example.org