|* On the occasion of the Vienna Choir Boys' 500th anniversary tour
of North America, their new artistic director Agnes Grossman talks frankly to La Scena
Musicale about the problems that have plagued the once illustrious group, and her
revolutionary plans to revitalize it.
* Anaïk Bernèche talks
with flautist Claire Guimond of Montreal's Arion Ensemble. This fine baroque group
enters its 17th season with programming for expanded forces and star soloists. Exciting
projects this season include a concert tour to Western Canada and their New York City
debut. The Arion Ensemble's new recording of Jean-Marie Leclair's violin and flute sonatas
with violinist Monica Huggett will be released this month.
* Opera at School: La Scena Musicale's editors survey this
season's lively opera offerings at Montreal-area universities. Watch for Offenbach's Les
Contes de Hoffman at l'Université de Québec a Montréal; Peri's Euridice,
Mozart's Così fan tutte, and Strauss's Die Fledermaus at McGill; and
Mozart's Die Zauberflöte and Nicolai's Merry Wives of Windsor at
Université de Montréal.
* Preview: Polish composer Henryk Gorecki visits Montreal in
* Review: Opera New Brunswick's La Bohème excites St. John.
* Book Reviews: Andre L. Pincus Tanglewood, BBC Music Magazine Top 1000
CDs Guide, Phil Goulding Ticket to the Opera, William Berger Wagner Without
* CD Reviews : Sony Vocal Masterworks, Bernstein West Side Story / On the
Town, Piazzola. Mini-discographies: Mozart's Così fan tutte, Verdi's Don
Carlos. Disc of the Month: La Belle Epoque - Melodies de Renaldo Hahn.
Sony SK 60168 (Susan Graham, mezzo).
* Technology: L'enregistrement MIDI.
* Monthly Calendar, Monthly Pull-Out Calendar (in collaboration with the Conseil
québécois de la musique).
* New on scena.org. Free Newswire Service.
Next issue: December 1998 / January 1999. Deadline: November 17,
For more information :
La Scena Musicale, Tel : (514) 274-1128 * Fax : (514) 274-9456
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org * http://www.scena.org/